We use the word 'regret' in some distinctly different situations.
Sometimes regret is used in a rather formal apology because you expect someone else to be disappointed by your absence:
I regret to inform you that I will not be able to attend the reception.
(Another less formal way to say this is "I'm sorry I will not be able to attend the reception.")
In more serious situations, it can be used as a threat:
If you do that to me again, you'll regret it!
Other times regret can be devastating. Did you ever say something or do something that damaged or destroyed a relationship? Did you feel that nagging ache inside, the empty feeling of loneliness? Did you hear "If only" echoing endlessly in your mind as you wished with all your heart that you could take back what you said, undo what you did?
Last year was a year of regret for me, the devastating regret of this last example. I hope you can avoid this kind of regret.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Oh my! I have been looking for this kind of blogs for ages! Please come back to post here on regular basis! :) It's such a big help!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much. As you can see by my very late reply, I don't come here very often. Do you have any ideas for future posts?
Delete