We love to talk about food, so I guess it's not surprising that we have a lot of idioms that are based on food.
If someone seems a bit lazy, spends too much time sitting around, watching TV, you might say he's a couch potato.
You may know that Americans say "Awesome!" all the time to mean "Great!" or "Super!"
Sometimes we (especially those of us who are a little older) say "Hot dog!".
When someone takes your picture, don't be surprised if, just before the flash, he tells you to, "Say cheese".
If someone tells you about a surprise party for one of your friends, be careful not to spill the beans. You don't want to spoil the surprise.
When we think something is really easy to do, we say, "That's a piece of cake." There's another phrase that means the same thing--"easy as pie"--but I don't hear it very often any more.
The best students in the class are called "the cream of the crop". You could also use this to describe the best futbol players in Europe, or any other small group that you feel is the best compared to others like them.
Talking with him about my problem gave me some food for thought (some ideas to consider).
The issue of global warming is a real hot potato. Many people are passionate in expressing their
opinions.
He thinks he knows a lot, but most of the time he's wrong. You might say he's "out to lunch".
I don't think his kind words are sincere. He's just trying to butter me up before he asks me for a favor.
Well, that's a good taste of idioms based on food. I hope you don't think I'm nutty as a fruitcake!

No comments:
Post a Comment